Sunday, December 5, 2010

8. Cheatham Street Warehouse

THIS WEEK HAS BEEN CRAZY! And huge for me. It started Monday on my way to work. I got a call from my soul sister Van Darien. She is a singer songwriter that I played with a lot in DFW. She's been on tour with Charla Corn and Kylie Rae Harris the past month or so, so I was super excited to see her name pop up on my iPhone. She was in Austin for the day, and she wanted to jam! I told her I would ask around for an open mic or something and when I got off work we would definitely meet up. So I sent a few texts, and one struck gold. Jeremy Steding is an Austin based musician who was playing that night and Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos, and he invited us to open for him!


Now for those of you who don't obsessively follow this Red Dirt Music Scene, Cheatham Street Warehouse is a legendary bar where the biggest acts in Texas Country play. It is a dream to play there. And we had an invitation.

So Vanessa and I hit the road to San Marcos (almost an hour from my house in Cedar Park) giggling with excitement the whole way. We played for about an hour, and the modest crowd enthusiastically cheered us on. It was such a blast! And when we walked off stage Jeremy met us and thanked us for playing. Whatever dude, thank YOU for inviting us!!! He also mentioned that Kent Finlay, the owner, was in the crowd and really enjoyed our set. Sweeeet!!! So obviously I went straight to Kent and introduced myself. He is a white haired rugged looking man that would play the Sherriff in an old western movie. Most of what we talked about is a blur, except for when he personally invited me to his songwriters circle on Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment