Friday, November 19, 2010

7. Code Rainbow

In my third day of work, a child puked on me. Not in the pool. And not near me. But directly on my leg. Chocolate milk and carrots. At work, we call that a Code Rainbow. It was an adventurous day. I'm just glad it wasn't a Code Brown.

A few days later, a child bit me on my shoulder. It wasn't an angry bite, or even a sad or frustrated bite, but rather an overexcited bite. I tried to play like it didn't hurt, and ignore the pain shooting down my arm and the stings from the water. But when the class was over, I looked at the bite-mark, and there was a perfect circular bruise with a red center where it broke the skin. If I hadn't spent so much time in the chlorinated water after that, I would have been a little more worried about infection. Now it just looks like a nasty bruise on my shoulder.

All of this, and I still LOVE my job! It's so fun and rewarding. And the people I work with are incredible. Most people have been working there for several years, and have no intention of leaving. Everyone that works there loves their job. That is no generalization. The kids are so fun and adorable, and even if they are misbehaving or crying for Mom, you only have then for thirty minutes at a time so it's more than tolerable. We just get to act goofy and excited and teach kids survival skills.

-->sidenote: Did you know that the number one cause of accidental death of children under the age of five in the state of Texas is drowning?

So things are going well here in ATX. I played my first show out at Lake Travis opening for the Matt Stapp Band last weekend at a place called Poodies. The owner died a year ago, but he was Willie Nelson's road manager for something like 35 years. I'm playing tonight in College Station at a bar on Northgate called Fitzwilly's and it's gonna be a blasty! It's a game weekend, so I'm hoping for a fun crowd! Btho Nebraska!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Hojo! I so wish I could be at Fitz's tonight to see you play, but alas, I won't be in College Station this weekend. But good luck and have a great show!! :)

    ReplyDelete